What if I disagree with the decision?

You have a right to appeal if you disagree with the local authority's decision of whether you or your child has an EHC assessment or plan, or the contents of that plan.

Appeal routes will remain the same as for the current Statement of SEN process. You will be involved within the EHC plan process so you can raise issues at any point. If you and the local authority still can't agree, you may be able to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST). This is an independent body that hears parents' and carers' appeals against local authority decisions on statutory assessments.

The Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for SEND (opens in a new window) (formerly Parent Partnership Service) can offer advice and support and help you access mediation services.